In 1946, after serving in World War II, Alfred Benesch founded a structural and civil engineering firm, Alfred Benesch & Associates, in Chicago. In 1947, the firm hired its first employee, Harold R. Sandberg. For more than 65 years, the firm has grown and prospered. Today, Engineering News Record places it among the Top 500 Design Firms in the country.
Benesch’s first project was a women’s dormitory at the University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign followed by numerous others including schools, factories, hospitals, apartments, offices and public buildings.
In the early 1950’s, the firm expanded its expertise to include railroad and highway bridge design and construction management. The firm also evolved from a partnership to a corporation, Alfred Benesch & Company, continuing to flourish from work on the Illinois and Indiana toll road systems.
Mr. Benesch personally cared for each employee’s welfare. He paid special attention to new employees, cultivating the “Benesch style” of quality production.
By 1956, the firm had grown to 60 employees and Mr. Benesch extended his talent search beyond the United States. He brought in engineers with expertise from 24 different countries, forming an eclectic conglomeration of expertise, increasing the company’s knowledge and skill.
In 1971, Mr. Benesch retired and Harold Sandberg became President. In 1975 the firm added value engineering (VE), first on internal projects, but soon performing VE as a separate service. Continuing to grow, Benesch merged with a firm in Pottsville, Pennsylvania in 1986.
In 1989, the leadership team of Michael N. Goodkind, Muthiah Kasi and Robert Carter assumed management responsibilities of the firm. In 1991, former Illinois Tollway Chief Engineer Antoine Karam joined the management team as Benesch’s first Director of Business Development.
Over the years, orderly changes in administration were made by promotion from within. The company’s policies and practices ensure that this will continue. Mr. Sandberg retired from Benesch in the Spring of 2008 after 62 years of dedicated service.
In 2009, another leadership transition occurred. John Carrato became President and CEO, assuming the role that Michael Goodkind had served in since 1989. Jack Kweder took on the role of Chief Operations Officer, assuming Muthiah Kasi’s position. Muthiah Kasi remain active in the role of Corporate Development with Kasi also serving as Chairman Emeritus of the Board.
In 2010, another chapter in Benesch’s history was written following a merger with HWS Consulting Group of Lincoln, Nebraska. The merger added office locations in three more states, expanded services into geotechnical and hazardous waste, and greatly expanded the firm’s rail capabilities.
In 2011, Benesch expanded into the Southeast region as a result of merging with Clinard Engineering Associates, LLC.
In 2012, Benesch added to their Colorado and Illinois offices following a merger with LONCO, Inc. and expanded their Mid-Atlantic Region as a result of merging with Purcell Associates, Inc. located in Connecticut and Massachusetts.
In 2013, Benesch merged with Delich Roth & Goodwillie (DRG) adding two new offices; Bonner Springs, KS and Kansas City, MO.
In 2014, Benesch expanded our Southeast region as a result of merging with Site Solutions in Charlotte, North Carolina.
In 2015 Benesch merged with Tucker, Young, Jackson, Tull, Inc. (TYJT), a Detroit, Michigan based environmental and civil engineering firm. The addition of TYJT expands the company’s water/wastewater and transportation design services.