The Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) has selected The Chicago Bridge Inspection Team (CBIT), a Joint Venture of Alfred Benesch & Company and Collins Engineers, Inc. to provide inspection services for its bridge inventory. The overall objectives of this project are to:
- Ensure the CDOT bridges are structurally adequate for their intended use
- Update and submit the required Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) bridge inspection forms
- Maintain and update the CDOT bridge infrastructure database
- Assist CDOT with prioritizing the bridge infrastructure for further capital and maintenance funding
CDOT’s Bridge Inventory includes over 400 bridges, consisting of a various types of bridges and crossings including Movable Structures, Fixed Span Structures, Viaducts, Three-Sided Frame Structures, Pedestrian Structures, and Expressway Overpass Structures.
As Consultant Program Manager, CBIT is performing bridge inspections in accordance with the NBIS, AASHTO, IDOT and CDOT requirements and guidelines. The following NBIS inspection types are being performed: routine, initial, special, fracture critical, underwater and element level, as well as the mechanical and electrical inspections of the movable bridges.
CBIT is also responsible for the following professional engineering services:
- Bridge load capacity ratings of complex bridges
- Structural peer review of complex bridges
- Value engineering studies
- Bridge on-call engineering, including emergency repairs
- Bridge Management System development