The overall $300 million multi-phase project includes improvements to State Road, Cottman and Princeton Avenues, other surface streets and a new ramp. This project is essential to the local economy and 170,000 daily users. Benesch designed the roadway improvements to 1.5 miles between Levick Street & Bleigh Avenue, the project includes: I-95 mainline widening from 3 to 4 lanes, 8 bridges, 16 retaining walls, and local widening of SR 73. The project also involved:
- Upgrades to 3 ramps: I-95 SB and NB off and I-95 NB on-ramps.=
- Addition of 3 new ramps: I-95 SB on-ramps (2) and an I-95 NB on-ramp spur.
- Wider shoulders for improved safety.
- Improved highway signing.
- 9 overhead sign structures and 13 ADMS structures.
- Improvements to several adjacent city streets in the Tacony neighborhood of Philadelphia, including Cottman Avenue and Princeton Avenue.