The Marlborough Tavern was built in 1760 and for many years a prominent stagecoach stop, and a center of the town’s civic activities. During the American Revolution, the Tavern served as meeting place for the local patriots and area residents. The site and surrounding area later became a retail plaza offering shopping and services for the community. After years of neglect by previous owners, the developer repositioned the tavern and plaza site with the addition of a 68,000 square foot supermarket and a complete renovation of the Marlboro Tavern. The renovation by the developer focused on featuring the historic roots of the tavern.
The Benesch team provided site/civil design, landscape architecture, traffic engineering, and survey to support permitting efforts for the expansion. Benesch also provided support and expertise during construction. The rejuvenated site required local permits from the Town of Marlborough and approval from the Connecticut Department of Transportation for access/egress to state highway Route 66. In addition, approval from the Office of State Traffic Authority (OSTA) was required.